Monday 12 March 2007

Adelaide Cup: Public Holiday or Den of Inequity?

Long-live long weekends!

It's Adelaide cup day today. Seeing as by a serendipitous twist of fate I happen to be residing in Adelaide that means that everyone who's not involved in some sort of socially invaluable occupation (like doctors, firefighters, the police, bookies and liquor-store proprietors) gets a day off. Ostensibly this allows them to watch/gamble upon the horse race for which the day is named, in reality it's more commonly an opportunity for barbeque's, catching up on home-maintenance or just extending the usual weekend alcho-bender by an extra day.

For me of course the holiday is fairly meaningless; I'm not really much for horse-racing, and aside from the fact that retail stores all take a brief hiatus there's not really much to praise or denigrate. I stopped in on Pete, Matt and Nina to see how they were all goin' (answer: pretty good) which was cool, 'cause it kinda made the day feel more like a holiday.

Time continues to tick while I look towards Japan on the horizon; these days it doesn't seem like there's much to do besides prepare to go over there; My dad picked up a refurbished laptop from my old high school the other day, so I've been busy loading all the necessary software (read: games and music). With luck I'll get a web-cam up and running, so you might be able to continue to see my smiling face in all it's 2D glory! Yay! (?)

I got yet another 'reminder' e-mail from AEON today too, reiterating several of their more important policies- the main points are:
- FORMAL WEAR IS GOOD!
Yup; you can't wear jeans and a singlet to work. In fact you can't even wear a tie with a cartoon character on it. This may be a problem as years of a wearing a formal school uniform have left me with a near pathological aversion to formal wear. Hopefully my plan to watch many seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and zero in on Giles as an 'icon of style' will help my sense of self-esteem regarding the wardrobe.

- BRING MONEY!!
Japan is a very 'ordered' society; this means you don't get paid until you work for a whole month. Unfortunately Japanese landlords expect to get paid on 'rent-day' (none of this 'the cheque is the mail' crap). This means that lack of ready cash may result in becoming destitute, which in turn leads to deportation. Is there no problem that can't be solved with a large wad of yen?

- DON'T DO DRUGS!!!
Because frankly the country has more in common with Iran than Holland when it comes to narcotics control laws; seriously, the list of products classed as 'restricted stimulants' includes Vicks Inhalers and Sudafed (along with anything else that contains a sniff of Codeine) and getting caught with a joint carries the same 20-year prison term as hauling a key of cocaine. A bunch of NOVA teachers found this out the hard way last month.

Right: plain tie, bunch of cash, lack of (illicit) drug habit. Rising Sun here I come!

No comments: