Sunday 3 June 2007

New Friends, Jazz and Dental Health.

Yo cyber-readers! How’s life? Are you staying sane? Did you do something cool today? Life’s flying by y’know! Get out there and have a great day! Ok… finish reading this first though, thanks. ;)

Right, so I’ve been being social lately, I’ve taken to hanging out with a pair of girls who work for the local NOVA lately; Lani (who I’ve already mentioned) and her new roommate Lauren who hails from Devon in England and is brand new to this whole ‘Japan’ thing. Poor thing, she’s landed just as this island is starting to get genuinely oppressively hot; the humidity is killing me, I can’t imagine what it must be like for her.

Ohhhh! New girls! Lani (on the left) and Laura (on the right) finally some people who are even newer at this than I am. This is their first time in an Isakia, bless their little cotton socks. They've already got the ubiquitous Japanese 'peace for photos' pose down pat though.

To make life even more interesting, the company has delivered us an ET to help out with the workload around here (ET stands for ‘Emergency Teacher’ and is no way related to creepy wrinkly aliens just in case you were wondering). His name is Mike, he’s from California, has been working in Tokyo for a bunch of years and he’s pretty much the coolest thing that’s happened at work since I got here, you have no idea what’s it’s like having someone in the office who actually laughs at my offbeat humour.

We all went out for a bar tour last night which involved spending a grandiose amount of time sitting in various jazz bars and trying everything on the drinks menu. We talked about music for hours on end, swapped a bunch of wacky stories, solved all the worlds geopolitical problems and generally did the whole ‘gaijin bonding’ thing that this job seems to tacitly encourage.

Bizarre event of the moment: this week it's the Sasebo 'Dental Health' festival, complete with tooth-brushing demonstrations and an art competition where school children compete to render the best depiction of tooth decay. It's almost enough to make me floss.

In other exciting news (at least for me), I discovered a late-night supermarket about 10 minutes walk from my flat; this means my grocery shopping schedule is suddenly vastly more flexible, and it may save me from having to run down to Jusco during my lunch breaks. I’ve decided that I need to do a serious clear up around here, it seems like the change of continent hasn’t actually improved my housekeeping skills (big surprise) and the fact that I’m having to step over things on the floor to get to the bathroom is a major warning sign of the bachelor lifestyle taken too far. I’m all alone and maidless over here, without family or roommates to share my domestic burdens. Woe is plentiful.

Cool, clean vibes,

Shaun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maids just create more mess. Look at Chio-chans for example.

Anonymous said...

When I read about the Dental Health festival I felt like getting out my toothbrush...that's kinda creepy though.

Good to hear you're doing okay though! One thing though: are these backlogged entries or recent ones? Cause you know it's July right...

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hello Shawn,
I see you had training from my old friend Gerry. I am trying to get back in contact with him, but I can find no e-mail or number for him. If you have an e-mail contact could you pass it along? Cheers,
Jon
misdiaslocos@hotmail.com

Ailurus Fulgens said...

Heh, I know what y'mean Pete; good penguin-help is soooo hard to find. :P

Yup Mel, I'm still stuck in the backlog, I try to write entries at the time of events, but formatting pictures and getting my somewhat spotty internet working means that I seem perpetually stuck in the past, oh well... better late than never right?

And Jon, sorry... I'm not actually in possession of Gerrys e-mail address, but I'll certainly pass along your details and ask him to get in contact! Always nice to hear from a veteran!

Anonymous said...

Lol...yeah no doubt!