Sunday 10 June 2007

Furnishings are the spice of life.

It was a big day for me today, a day that marks the end of an era; the sleeping on the floor era to be precise. Something finally cracked in me the other day when I woke up and found myself staring into the antenna of a reasonably proportioned cockroach. No more floor naps for Shaun, nuh-uh… one day you’re looking at a roach, next thing you’re waking up strangely full and picking bits of shell out of your teeth.

My solution? Cutting-edge convertible couch technology. A soft sprung surface of synthetic fabric supported by four stout posts that doubles as an effective television viewing platform and a comfortable place to lose consciousness at the end of the day. It’s a beautiful functional thing, and a grand monument to my first complete paycheck.

My couch, the new love of my life, a thing of beauty is she not?

Ummm… yeah, so that’s about it. I know it’s a little sad to write a whole entry about a piece of furniture, but hey… at least it’s a little different than my usual “I went out drinking with some people” entries, right? Ummm… not that I having been doing that, but y’know, I know it must get kinda samey.

Because he missed out last time this is Mike, posed here with the same snake juice (it's official name is Habu-sake by the way) that welcomed me to to this town. God-bless 'im, it's nice to have a friend to share your rituals of pain with.

Yeah, so I’m still alive; I have a comfy place to sleep and I’ve gone three whole days without eating a meal out of a convenience store; I don’t think life gets much better than that.

Sleep well world,

Shaun.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Shaun, been a while since I popped in! Great to catch up on all the news, sounds like you're keeping busy and taking in something new on a constant sort of basis which is great :-) My work sucks like you couldn't believe, and what's more, I passed a taxation of partnerships test without having studied for it (I guess it means that their silly test are meaningless!! Meaningless, I say!) But the breakdancing is good. Take care. I'll pop in again soon.

Tim

Ailurus Fulgens said...

Heya Tim!

Great to hear from ya! Sounds like you're having your own wacky adventure. Heh, life is so frequently bizarre right? Oh well, at least you have something cool to do after work, that really takes the edge off. Breakdancing is probably a lot more healthy than my 'go down to the pub' mentality too. :P

Rock on and write soon, always a pleasure to hear from ya man! :D

Unknown said...

Yeah, 'tis exactly right - having something good to do after work is fantastic. Even in the public service, 7 hrs and 21 minutes is too long a day for me ... I don't know how people cope with a 10 hr day or 14 hr day etc etc.