Thursday 5 April 2007

Day of Flight.

four hours until I fly, and the surrealism of this whole adventure is rapidly fading into concrete reality. I'm packed, my teeth are gritted and my resolve is set:

"I will go to Japan and teach the hell out of my native language."

The terror is still there in the background, but I'm offsetting it by keeping busy (why do you think there's been a new entry every two days this week?) I'm kinda dreading the actual flight because it's essentially one long 'chance to think', but hopefully in-flight movies, magazines and my shiny new mp3 playlist should keep me from over-analysing things long enough to get on the ground again.

The night before last I said my final goodbyes to my friends from uni who I am indebted to for their bold efforts to shore up my sanity and spirits during the more 'Lovecraftian' times at good-ol' Adelaide University. No crying on my part (thank Vishnu), but most sad nontheless, ah well I'm sure they'll just hold some sort of Bring It On-esque audition process and replace me soon enough. Mandy made a last-ditch attempt to shore up my language skills with a copy of the Lonely Planet Japanese Phrasebook (in which she helpfully highlighted the smutty phrases) Now I can find how to say "Do you want a massage?", "You're just using me for sex" or "Are you menstruating?" faster than ever! Thanks Mandy!

Juanita went the 'cultural education' road instead with Tabloid Tokyo which is indescribably hilarious . Seriously, it has to be read to be believed; stories of Salarymen working so much overtime they have to sleep at the office every night, cafe's with panty-less waitresses moving drinks across mirrored floors and mothers who are willing to commit incest with their children to 'improve their concentration' abound. I speed-read through the whole thing in one night and only stopped laughing when my jaw was distended... Many thanks! She gets bonus points for the haiku in the cover too (which is far more elegant than my effort in this entry)

Last night I went out for dinner with my parents then came home to start cramming stuff in suitcases; I haven't even left and I already miss them and the dogs pretty terribly. I know we live in an age of real-time video-communication, but what if I need a hug? I guess this is no worse than leaving home in any other way, but hey, I'm still a little wigged.

Ok, time to go get on a plane and do this thing; I don't know when I'll be able to write again, it's kinda dependant on when I have time and access to an internet connection. In the meantime, remember my phone still works (but watch out for those international charges if you actually call... texting is way more economical).

To end, a haiku:

Today I fly up
With much sorrow for friends
Your writing brings joy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs and more hugs*

Ahh mate you'll be fine I'm sure. Just think: if the in-flight movie is crap you'll have something to bitch about later, but if the in-flight movie is in a foreign language you may pick something up that might be useful during your teaching adventures. Keep us all posted! Oh, and a request: let me (well, us if anyone else is interested) know what coffee in a can is like? And ponder this....does it taste different to "Australian" coffee, and if so is it because it's "Japanese" coffee and/or it's in a can?

Okay time for sleep now....

Have a safe flight amigo!

Mel *_^

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll be fine. Jehanne is a bit miffed that you didn't mention the cellos in your Beauty and the Beast review. She says don't forget to pop down to Singapore after August if you need a holiday. I might head up to Japan later in the year. Have a great Easter, let us know what Japanese Easter eggs are like.

Jordan (and Jehanne)

Anonymous said...

Hey, glad you enjoyed the book but it was provided as a contribution towards your inflight entertainment!! Oh well.

Have a safe flight and landing and getting off the plane and etc. WOO!

- Juanita

Anonymous said...

Apparently they've started importing Pale, so have a look!