Friday 12 September 2008

New Friends, Childhood Dreams and the Shinkansen Girl.

I'm back! Not from the future... but from Fukuoka! (Yeesh, that's gotta be a candidate for 'worst play on words in the blogosphere' right?)

So Fukuoka was cool; the immigration stuff was boring as expected, but at least it went smoothly. I'm now no longer in danger of deportation. Yay fo' me. The rest of the weekend I hung out with Mina; walked around Fukuoka, went to some parks and shrines, ate some ice cream and drank some coffee (iced), did a little shopping for her sisters birthday (it's lucky I'm not embarrassed to be seen walking around metro areas with a giant seal-body pillow), then went back to her place for some cooking and summer night beers while looking over the skyline. Consider me content; it really is good to be back and relaxed.

This has actually been a good week in lotsa ways; aside from a three day workweek (I looooove the public service!) there's another public holiday next Monday! No karoshi for Shaun! I serendipitously ran into another one of the area ALTs at the mall the other day; Greg from Zimbabwe, who's really cool and seems to share my passion for eating and drinking things. He cemented a special place in my heart with many gifts- firstly a couch, the only problem with giving me a couch is that I have no car to move a couch; I got into the spirit of African tribeswomen and hauled it the 2km back to my apartment regardless... on. my. head. Luckily for me it's the type that doesn't have a frame, but still; I felt damn manly (read: sweaty) afterwards.

Shaun and Greg; approximately 50% of Nogatas foreign English teaching contingent, and approximately 50% of the towns sex-appeal in one convenient package.

Second, I am now the proud owner of a bicycle! Her name is 'Linda' (after her previous owner) and it looks like she's done some hard service carting teachers like me to the workplace and beyond for many years. In any case, the bus is on the way out, and excellent thighs and calves are on the way in. I only have one problem; I haven't actually attempted to even go near a bike in something like 18 years.

That phrase, "it's like riding a bike" is completely erroneous. I can't ride a bike, I've been going out to the parking lot behind my apartment and doing ovals while I try to recover whatever anemic cycling skill I possessed as a pre-teen. I'm not sure what the Japanese people who walk past think; probably that it's some bizarre gaijin custom to wobble around a parking lot going 'woah!' and almost tumbling off every few seconds late at night. Hell, they probably think I'm drunk.

In a piece of random news to finish up, I've developed an appalling crush, really, like the stupidest celebrity crush I've ever had (OK, maybe not quite as stupid as the one on Phillip Schofield). It's mainly stupid because it's a girl on a poster. A poster that advertises a train service. A train service that isn't completed. In any case, I've already almost walked straight into two people while staring at her image; I'm not even sure why, objectively I don't even think she's that pretty, but there's just something about her smile. Anyway take a look and judge for yourself; am I deviant?

The smiley gal who makes me want to ride the unfinished Kagoshima shinkansen without due cause, damn you vixen!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Hey SJ, big-but-not-biggest-sister dropping in. Shaun Senior gave me your blog address. Most amusing, keep with the writing and the pics. I am now in the old age of youth but soon will be in the youth of old age (surely preferable!). It’s that time when the 'what age would you go back to?’ question arises. I’ve always said 26 but of course that’s with the proviso that I can go back from here - to go back with no more knowledge or confidence would be stupid! Enjoy my good times and will mail you soon. Snow Patrol and American Beauty eh? Top choices - someone else that understands ‘the leaves’?!

Ailurus Fulgens said...

Heya Sis! Long time no hear! Awesome of ya to write!

Hey, don't stress; I think we're all at ages where we start to think about how nice it would be to wind back the clock. As an 'official' 26 year old I can tell you it ain't all that... being 'the young guy' in the office is madly stressful sometimes!

In any case, do write again soon and let me know what you've been up to; we have much to catch up on! And should you ever feel like taking a holiday in Japan, you know there's a futon with your name on it right?

Peace, love, lotsa leaves and signal fires to ya! ;)

Krampus said...

This is a real time capsule gem.

Seriously, when you and Greg wed I expect you to include a sappy Powerpoint that includes this blog post.